Friday, October 25, 2024

ESC legend Nicole sang for soldiers: “They came with machine guns”

Schlager.de ESC legend Nicole sang for soldiers: “They came with machine guns” Article by Jasmin Twardawa • 10 hours • 1 minute reading time With the song “Ein bisschen Frieden” Nicole was the first German to win the Eurovision Song Contest in 1982 at just 17 years old. At the time she was particularly moved that Germany received twelve points from Israel. Shortly afterwards she sang in front of soldiers in Tel Aviv at the invitation of the Israeli government. Today she tells BILD: “An accolade for a German girl. I knew exactly that something big was happening.” Nicole was only 17 when she won the ESC with “Ein bisschen Frieden” And that’s exactly how it turned out. In an interview she remembers: “I can still see myself sitting on my stool today. A siren sounds and they all come running out with their machine guns. Girls, boys my age and sit down on a hill opposite me. I start singing ‘Ein bisschen Frieden’. The soldiers put down their weapons, hold hands and form the peace sign with their weapons." A moment that will stay in her mind forever. Nicole says: "There are not many songs that manage to connect people with each other, no matter what their background is."