Sunday, October 29, 2017

Betty MacDonald and a very nasty lady

Bildergebnis für picking peaches

same colour, isn't it.........................


Bildergebnis für Donald Trump and cats

Betty MacDonald in the living room at Vashon on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post.
Bildergebnis für Betty MacDonald farm in SeptemberBildergebnis für upside down house

Anne MacDonald Canham

Bildergebnis für Happy Sunday with typewriter




Betty MacDonald fan club fans,

I'm rereading Betty MacDonald's Onions in the Stew for the millionth time.

Onions in the Stew is my favourite book - although I'm crazy about Betty MacDonald's unique books and it's very difficult to decide.

What is your favourite story in Onions in the Stew?

I can tell you mine.

It's the story about Betty MacDonald, husband Don, daughters Anne and Joan  picking peaches.

Can you remember this delightful story? 

Bildergebnis für picking peaches on vashon island


It' so funny but also I feel very sorry for Betty because of this very nasty lady Mrs. Swensen.

Betty MacDonald in Onions in the Stew: 

Quickly tucking the small bitten peach into my box, bite-side down, and choking down what was in my mouth, I said, "You mean I am leaving ripe ones, Mrs. Swensen?"
"I certainly do," she said. "Come here."
I climbed down. Peering at my wooden shoes through her steel-rimmed spectacles, she said, "What on earth do you have on your feet?"
"Wooden shoes," I said. "We wear them on the beach."
"Well, they may be all right for the beach but they are certainly inappropriate for picking peaches," she said. "Look here, this peach is ripe," deftly she twisted it off. "And so is this one, and this and this. Where is your flat, Mrs. MacDonald?"
"Up on the ladder," I said. "I'll get it."
When I brought it down she immediately reached in and grabbed the small peach I had been eating. "That one is too small," she said, then seeing the bitten pieces she added, "Eating the fruit is not encouraged, Mrs. MacDonald. After all, this fruit belongs to the Hawkinses. It represents money to them. Helping ourselves to their fruit is like helping ourselves to their money."
She handed me the bitten peach and I accepted it humbly with hanging head. "Now," she said briskly, "you are very slow. Let me see how you are picking."


Mrs. Swensen is really awful.

She makes Betty down all the time. 

Poor Betty! 

But I can't help. It's such a wonderful story.

What's your favourite story?

Happy Sunday!

Greta 

Bildergebnis für Happy Sunday with fall


Bildergebnis für Happy Sunday with peaches

Many ESC fans from all over the world are so very sad because we lost Joy Fleming - one of the best singers ever. 


Betty MacDonald fan club founder Wolfgang Hampel sings  'Try to remember' especially for Betty MacDonald fan club organizer Linde Lund at Vita Magica September

you can join 


Betty MacDonald fan club


Betty MacDonald Society  


Vita Magica  


Eurovision Song Contest Fan Club 




on Facebook



Vita Magica Betty MacDonald event with Wolfgang Hampel, Thomas Bödigheimer and Friedrich von Hoheneichen


Vita Magica 


Betty MacDonald 

Betty MacDonald fan club 


Betty MacDonald fan club on Facebook


Betty MacDonald forum  

Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( English ) 

Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( English ) - The Egg and I 


Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( Polski)   

Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( German )

Wolfgang Hampel - LinkFang ( German ) 

Wolfgang Hampel - Academic ( German )

Wolfgang Hampel -   

Wolfgang Hampel - DBpedia  ( English / German )

Wolfgang Hampel - people check ( English ) 

Wolfgang Hampel - Memim ( English )

Vashon Island - Wikipedia ( German )

Wolfgang Hampel - Monica Sone - Wikipedia ( English )

Wolfgang Hampel - Ma and Pa Kettle - Wikipedia ( English )

Wolfgang Hampel - Ma and Pa Kettle - Wikipedia ( French ) 


Wolfgang Hampel - Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle - Wikipedia ( English)

Wolfgang Hampel in Florida State University 

Betty MacDonald fan club founder Wolfgang Hampel 

Betty MacDonald fan club interviews on CD/DVD

Betty MacDonald fan club items 

Betty MacDonald fan club items  - comments

Betty MacDonald fan club - The Stove and I  

Betty MacDonald fan club groups 


Betty MacDonald fan club organizer Linde Lund  


Betty MacDonald fan club organizer Greta Larson