Sunday, March 27, 2022

Sean Penn: He threatens Oscar destruction

Sean Penn: He threatens Oscar destruction Bang Showbiz - 7 hrs ago Sean Penn has threatened to publicly destroy his Oscars if the ceremony on Sunday (March 27) doesn't give a platform to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The 61-year-old star - who has Best Actor Awards for his work on 'Mystic River' and 'Milk' - urged the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to make sure the actor-turned-politician takes a moment should have to put his war-torn country in the spotlight. He even asked guests to leave the show if something like that didn't happen. Speaking on CNN, he said: "If that turns out not to be happening, I would encourage everyone involved - although it may be their moment and I understand it's about their films and it feels important to shine - to protest and this." Boycott Academy Awards. I myself will destroy my Oscars in public if it matters when I return. I pray that doesn't happen. I pray that there weren't any arrogant people who consider themselves representatives of the common good and decided not to contact the leadership in Ukraine." He hoped that Zelenskyy could have a say, and if not that then as a boycott everyone will leave the hall. Sean - who is currently in Warsaw, Poland for security reasons - is filming a documentary for Vice about the conflict between Ukraine and Russia and met with Zelenskyj earlier this week. Amy Schumer - who will co-host the ceremony with Regina Hall and Wanda Sykes - previously admitted she thinks it's a great opportunity to use the Oscars' global platform to share a message from the President of Ukraine. She said earlier this month, "I think there's definitely pressure like, 'This is a holiday, let people forget we only have tonight,' but at the same time you know, 'We have so many eyes and ears on this show.' I think it's a great opportunity to comment on at least a few things. I have a few jokes that highlight the nature of the current state. I mean, there are so many terrible things happening that it's hard to focus on just one. I actually suggested that Zelenskyy be tuned in via satellite or play a recording simply because so many eyes will be on the Oscars.”