Sunday, November 12, 2017

Betty MacDonald, Seattle and I

Seattle skyline across Pier 66 waterfront


same colour, isn't it.........................

Bildergebnis für Trump they don't know how to write good

Bildergebnis für Donald Trump and catsBildergebnis für Vita Magica
Bildergebnis für Betty MacDonald farm in SeptemberBildergebnis für upside down house

Anne MacDonald Canham

Bildergebnis für Happy Sunday with typewriter
 

 

 

Betty MacDonald fan club fans,


thank you for Letizia Mancino's article. 

I enjoyed it very much.

Letizia Mancino's essay reminded me that I have never followed all of Betty MacDonald's tracks.


I have seen the Egg and I Road, but I wouldn't know which of the farm houses on it was hers. 
I don't think it exists anymore.

I also have been to Vashon Island for a garden tour (yes, Bainbridge and Vashon have lovely well-kept houses and gardens), but I never went to the house where Betty MacDonald had lived.

I also don't know which hotel the parents of Monica Sone owned. 

I will have to find out and go and see it. 

I found it funny that Letizia Mancino thought that Seattle has steeper hills than San Francisco. I have never slipped and fallen on the hills in Seattle, but I once took a bad fall in San Francisco when we were living in California. Eveyone passing by just stared and made comments, but no one helped me up. 


My purse had opened and the contents were spread all around me. I had to painfully get up, gather up my belongings and hobble back to the beauty salon on Knob Hill to recover myself. I had fallen so hard that I found a hole in the knee of my pants.
 

About those geoducks (pronounced "goo-eee"), I have never tried them, but then like Letizia, I enjoy salmon better. I don't like shellfish; I heard they are not good for you---too much cholesterol, and at certain times of the year they can be poisonous.

Since Letizia made her trip to Seattle in August, I am not surprised to find that she couldn't believe what she had heard about all the rain we get. August is about the only time that we have a couple of weeks of sunshine and no rain, so she got the wrong impression. Everything here is so green because we average about 80 inches of rain annually.


No, Seattle is not the beautiful city it was when Betty was alive. Neither is San Francisco, no place is. Every city I go to in this land seems to always have construction road blocks and cranes, etc. and over-development, and more traffic, even in this economy. People will always keep building into the voids, and here in America everyone loves the freedom a personal car gives.


About the Olympic Mountains west of the Hood Canal, and even Mt. Rainer on this side of the big Hood Canal, yes, they are far away, but are so huge that on a clear day they look like they are just a few miles away and not over 100 miles away. There hardly is any snow on the Olympics, and it has started to snow on the Cascade Range that divide this state, but not like before and not like our Eastern states. However, the winter is very cold, in the 20s and 30s farenheit most days now.


I don't know what hotel Letizia stayed in---right by a 16 lane highway? Probably not too far from the airport. We avoid those freeways. We take the ferry to Seattle, then hire a taxi to take us places. She also could have taken a bus tour - GrayLine--- and maybe the driver would have known about the places Betty and Monica lived, etc. We plan to do that one of these days to get to know the city better.

Oh, I also loved Letizia's website called Art for Cats. There is one painting that I would love to have a print of---Color Cat II. My sister has a kitten that looks just like that. Letizia's art is so wonderful, so colorful, makes me almost want to take out my paints again.


Best wishes,

 

Emilie 

Bildergebnis für Happy Sunday with Fall





Many ESC fans from all over the world are so very sad because we lost Joy Fleming - one of the best singers ever. 


Betty MacDonald fan club founder Wolfgang Hampel sings  'Try to remember' especially for Betty MacDonald fan club organizer Linde Lund at Vita Magica September

you can join 


Betty MacDonald fan club


Betty MacDonald Society  


Vita Magica  


Eurovision Song Contest Fan Club 




on Facebook



Vita Magica Betty MacDonald event with Wolfgang Hampel, Thomas Bödigheimer and Friedrich von Hoheneichen


Vita Magica 


Betty MacDonald 

Betty MacDonald fan club 


Betty MacDonald fan club on Facebook


Betty MacDonald forum  

Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( English ) 

Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( English ) - The Egg and I 


Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( Polski)   

Wolfgang Hampel - Wikipedia ( German )

Wolfgang Hampel - LinkFang ( German ) 

Wolfgang Hampel - Academic ( German )

Wolfgang Hampel -   

Wolfgang Hampel - DBpedia  ( English / German )

Wolfgang Hampel - people check ( English ) 

Wolfgang Hampel - Memim ( English )

Vashon Island - Wikipedia ( German )

Wolfgang Hampel - Monica Sone - Wikipedia ( English )

Wolfgang Hampel - Ma and Pa Kettle - Wikipedia ( English )

Wolfgang Hampel - Ma and Pa Kettle - Wikipedia ( French ) 


Wolfgang Hampel - Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle - Wikipedia ( English)

Wolfgang Hampel in Florida State University 

Betty MacDonald fan club founder Wolfgang Hampel 

Betty MacDonald fan club interviews on CD/DVD

Betty MacDonald fan club items 

Betty MacDonald fan club items  - comments

Betty MacDonald fan club - The Stove and I  

Betty MacDonald fan club groups 


Betty MacDonald fan club organizer Linde Lund