Thursday, June 8, 2017

A shout out in praise of Betty MacDonald

A shout out in praise of Betty MacDonald. The Mrs.Piggle-Wiggle books we all know, I think… but as I read them to Moomin I see how they function perfectly not just as teaching manuals for kids on how to behave and how naughtiness is repugnant – it’s also a perfect parenting manual, to teach the parents how to behave and how to be effective. 

All with a sense of humor and perspective.

The phone calls the mothers make to other moms in town are priceless… how the other moms annoyingly brag on their own children… how freakish their parenting standards are. 

I thought of all the moms’ club arguments I’ve seen about breastfeeding or co-sleeping; the playground conversations on schools, and laughed my head off at MacDonald’s exaggerations of parenting differences.

What I didnt’ know, until Iris sent me a package of books, was that Betty MacDonald wrote great books for adults… The Egg and I, Onions in the Stew, Anybody can do Anything (the best one) *EVERY* mommyblogger would like them. She’s damn funny! She’s outrageous! Her writing is beautiful.

We could go through women’s lit and label certain people honorary mommybloggers.


There are so many Betty MacDonald Fans all over the world.

We had Betty MacDonald Fan Club Events in Oslo, Stockholm and South Africa.

lizhenry's avatar - Go to profile
lizhenry -23p · 
I had no idea she was internationally popular! But, it makes sense. The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books are so great. I like how they make fun of the parents. And I wanted to grow up to be like Mrs. Pigglewiggle, kind to children and making up excellent games. And after all I gave my kid a blog nickname after Tove Jansson\'s character of Moomin!
Wolfgang Hampel, author of Betty MacDonald biography

interviewed Betty MacDonald's sister Alison Bard Burnett.

Alison shares the most interesting memories of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and is as witty as her famous sister Betty MacDonald.