Friday, August 21, 2009

The Egg and Me by Perry Woodfin

The Egg and Me
Copyright by Perry Woodfin

When her name comes up, as it has on occasion,
I reminisce about our only meeting.
We had climbed the long flight to the ferry boat cabin.
We stop suddenly at the top.
A woman is coming down.
Dad and Mom talk with her.
Dad, proud, introduces me, his boy.
Then he tells me, “This is Betty MacDonald.
”To me she’s just a another grown up.
I seem to remember all of that.
I think she had on silk stockings, high heels.
There may also have been white gloves, perfume.
I wonder if I’ve invented all this ?
It’s just a memory, a brief moment in time.
As I said, on occasion it has come up.
Then I turn it over, move it around,
gaining nothing except what is here.
Well, maybe a slight scent of sophistication;
maybe a touch of class.
But have I hatched this too ?
Questions remain as questions always seem to do,
just laying there.
Whenever I catch a ferry and see that high flight,
small memories like this, soar.

Hope you enjoy this.
I like poetry for its more immediate creative outlet (usually).
More immediate than painting, anyway.
The poem describes an incident that occurred in I would guess, about 1950.

Perry Woodfin


Perry Woodfin, has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Washington State University, and has made a living with his art since 1965. Puget Sound raised, he lives on Whidbey Island 50 miles north of Seattle.

http://www.perrywoodfin.com/

Perry Woodfin:

Even remember being introduced to Betty McDonald of "The Egg and I" fame on one when I was maybe 8-9 years old. Somehow knew it was special. But what isn't on the ferries.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/diamonds-perry-woodfin.html

more info about Perry Woodfin's father Don Woodfin

http://bettymacdonaldfanclub.blogspot.com/2009/07/wonderful-friend-of-betty-macdonald-fan.html