Friday, August 21, 2009

Author Kathleen McCleary is a huge Betty MacDonald Fan

I am indeed a huge Betty MacDonald fan and have all her books (and even her sister's books!)
I discovered Betty MacDonald through a terrific book catalogue (now defunct) called The Common Reader. The descriptions of Betty's books were so intriguing that I ordered The Egg and I and was immediately hooked. I had read all the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books as a child, and read them to my own daughters, and not realized it was the same Betty MacDonald. What I love about Betty's writing are not just her wonderful humor and resilience, but also her deep appreciation for the beauty of the natural world, which she manages to find everywhere, even in the view out the window of the sanitorium. Her attitude of buoyancy, joy, fun, and hope in even the darkest circumstances is a real inspiration. I also think that she is a very gifted descriptive writer, something that is often lost in the praise for her wit. I could go on and on about Betty. I read her books again and again and smile every time..

Thanks for getting in touch!

Kathleen McCleary